You were at the bottom of the cavern. Looking around you saw exits leading to the north, west and south.
Sleeves suggested going to the North, but Sarith Vehemently disagreed. “That way leads to MenzoBarazzan and certain doom, ye fools. I will not go that way.”
As everyone hesistated back and forth a Vrock fell wounded but still alive to the south, and you could hear Ilvara’s voice shrieking and echoing in the Cavern
“Fetch those Surface Dwelling Scum”
You fled to the West, through twisty tunnels, terrified. Not stopping, for fear of being caught. For at least 3-4 hours, running up and down, occasionally stumbling or failling, sobbing with exhaustion. Passing one fork, then another, then another, maybe a dozen in total just following the lead of whomever is in the front at the time….
Then you pause for breath. All is silent, you are in a larger cave tunnel, and you can feel heat and see some light ahead…
== Letter Follow ===
First of all well done, you have escaped from Velkynvelve. A more dramatic full writeup on obsidian portal will follow, but in brief FYI eric:
- You have your pick of chain shirt / studded leather armor / short sword / dagger / hand crossbow (depends on what you want, what you have proficiency in)
- You defeated a couple other enemies, looted the armory, and then fled as both the Quaggoths loomed and the Drow had nearly finished dispatching the demons.
- You crawled out of the river only to find
- 3 exits, North, West, and South
- an ENORMOUS (3x size btw) grey ooze launched out of the pool towards you proclaiming “Hail to Jubilex the Faceless One”
- a vrock (vulture demon) fell near the south exit and was eying you
Initially several of you considered the North, but Sarith quickly convinced the panicked group that heading towards the provincial Drow capital was not a good idea, and you ran to the west, hearing Ilvara’s threats echo in the cavern
You ran panicked down twisty lava tubes terrified of pursuit and passed multiple forks more or less I guess randomly choosing them
(Imagine how terrible the lighting for the non dark vision folks, sleeve’s cup cakes only illuminate a short radius and bouncing frantically as he ran!)
You ended up in a somewhat larger cave, panting and catching your breath
You feel a significant heat source nearby
And you are tired, worried about pursuit, injured (in some cases, I assume) and with almost no food or water.
But you are free!
Shuushar gives thanks to Blibdoolbloop the sea mother for his deliverance.
A LOT of points to ponder, I will no doubt think of others. Feel free to ask questions, clearly the more of this that is thought out the more we can hit ground running (or walking!)
- I will need both a single file and 2×2 marching order as standard marching (obviously in some cases its wider, and we can wing that)
- I will need everybody’s AC, passive perception, and such interesting matters. Please update character sheets
- Don’t forget the NPCs – in particular Sarith, Buppido,Jimjar should get full weapons and armor if you trust them
- You will need to choose a single navigator and a group of foragers. You may switch these off at short or long rests.
(These will affect your ability to get around without being lost and to feed the party, but navigators and foragers can’t as effectively watch for ordinary dangers)
- You will need to choose a PACE. I assume this first leg was FAST since you were fleeing. In brief you will learn more about this aspect of things but
- Going FAST makes it easier to avoid pursuit and gets you to your destination, but completely eliminates stealth, and significantly harms foraging and perception checks,.
- Going NORMAL is, well normal ;). Average on pretty much everything (I need to check if you can do stealth or not, can’t recall)
- SLOW is a lot slower (which is problematic without good food supplies), and increases the chance of pursuers to catch up, but significantly increases foraging, stealth, and perception checks.
Food and Water
Assume you need 1 lb of food per person per day and 1 gallon of water. (Yes prince derendil probably needs more but say a ferro and deep gnome need a little less, so it averages out).
I will generously assume you had eaten food and drunk water right before so no worries for through the next long rest (which you will want soon, see below)
After that you will start to gain levels of exhaustion (See PH, condition appendix – short version is you DON’T want to be exhausted!)
Once you have a chance to do a long rest you will level up to level 2. So be prepared for this – in particularly scrawl in some free portion of your sheet what will change – hit points of course, special powers, spell slots, etc. Would love for this to be efficient. Remember the NPCs will not level up this time – they level up slower than you.
Metagame: I will offer a potential location for a long rest very shortly – probably within the first half hour of gaming or less.
This is whom is currently assigned. I have now assigned Stool to Gabin since Tennyson liked him ;) . I’ve made some changes but feel free to argue
Gabin – Stool
Zoldren – Jimjar
Sleeves – Sarith
Ajax – Buppido
Crod – Prince Derendil
Mike – Shuushar
All of these NPCs can be very valuable to the party’s survival. Let’s start getting into role playing them, and realize that if you mistreat them, they WILL not treat YOU well. I recognize you may have regular characters
that may mistreat or dislike them. That’s fine, but there will be consequences to that – they might leave, they might attack you, they might betray you or lead you into a trap. Of course treating them well doesn’t guarantee a good result either ;)
Let me know if you don’t like these assignments, otherwise in a couple days I will mail out “dossiers” – expanded bios and info.